If you’re not a Russian citizen and were accused of committing a drug-related crime in Russia, this article will help you understand how to defend against the charges and not to let a bad situation get even worse.
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR DRUG CASES?
❗ In Russia, persons convicted on charges of possessing addictive drugs may face penalties of a fine or suspended sentence.
❗ But drug trafficking may lead to penalties of from 4 years in prison to life sentence (depending on the weight and type of drugs). Drug trafficking is usually done remotely: by stashing drugs and paying electronically.
❗ However, such criminal activity is quickly suppressed, and persons who have committed crimes are detained.
WHAT EVIDENCE CAN BE PRESENTED IN A DRUG-RELATED CRIMINAL CASE:
If a foreigner was detained on suspicion of distributing addictive drugs, he or she should understand what evidence can be presented to accuse him or her:
1. Search of the person.
When searching a person, they can find drugs.
2. Motor vehicle check, which is also aimed at searching for addictive drugs.
3. Mobile phone, laptop, tablet, and computer – all this may contain evidence of purchase and payment, as well as photographs of drug stashes.
4. Search of a dwelling to find substances and packaging with scales and other items intended for drug packaging.
5. Taking the person’s fingerprints to compare his or her fingerprints with those on drug packages.
6. Conclusion of forensic chemists about the type and weight of the drugs, and other evidence.
When defending in a drug case, the defendant should analyze whether anything of this list can lead to the proof of his or her guilt.
Based on these conclusions, one should build their defense tactics.
RECOMMENDATION ON HOW A FOREIGNER SHOULD BEHAVE IF DETAINED:
First, you should know your rights, and here are some of them:
1) Refuse to testify, or testify in one's native language;
2) Use an interpreter’s services;
3) Hire a lawyer.
And the best thing you can do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney, since your future literally depends on the defense you’ll build. Get in touch with our attorneys:
Tel: +7 909 961-19-09
Visit us: Moscow, Zubovskiy bulvar, building 4/1, office 308