Russian lawyer for foreign nationals

We work across all Russia
Law Firm

Travel ban on your minor child in Russia

If you're afraid your spouse or ex-spouse who is a Russian citizen can take your common child abroad not to come back to Russia, and thus deprive you of the opportunity to see him or her, you can apply to prohibit your child to leave Russia. In Russia, in most cases these are mothers who children live with after divorce, so more often, fathers face this problem, but regardless of the sex, the problem is solved the same way.

Any of the child's legal caregives (parent, legal guardian or adoptive parent) can prohibit their children to go abroad from Russia, even with the second parent. A parent's new spouse, grandparent, aunt or uncle can't do it if they aren't the child's caregiver by law.

Note that if you're not registered as the father in the daughter or son's birth certificate, first you'll have to establish the father's paternity in court.

Also note that this prohibition can't be imposed on your adult child.

Applicants residing in Russia should reach out to the migration department of the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs; if you live abroad, you need to contact the Russian consulate or diplomatic mission in the country of your residence. One should file an application in person.
A travel ban application is registered within one day and considered within 5 working days.
If everything is in order, the information on the travel ban will be entered into the general database of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and sent to the Border Control Department of the FSB. The second parent will be sent a corresponding notice by mail, and another notice will be sent to the applicant themself.
A travel ban can only be challenged in court.

In the application, you can indicate certain countries that your child can't visit, or just state he or she can't leave Russia. You have the right to specify the date until which this ban will apply, but this date can't be later than the child's 18th birthday.

For your application to be considered, you must also provide the following:
- ID (such as travel passport) with a notarized translation into Russian,
- Any document stating you're the child's legal caregiver. It can be his or her birth certificate or court ruling appointing you the child's guardian.
- The son or daughter's ID.
Documents in a foreign language must also be translated. All these documents may be provided in the form of a notarized copy, not original.

The application should also include information about the second parent if you know his/her:
* Name
* Date and place of birth
* Nationality
* Residential address

Feel free to contact us if you need legal assistance:
Tel: +7 909 961-19-09
Visit us: Moscow, Zubovskiy bulvar, building 4/1, office 308

You might also like these articles:
Property division. Divorce in Russia
Divorce in Russia
Establishing paternity in Russian court
Disputes over children in Russia: custody and parenting time
We are in social networks
Subscribe to our groups in social networks
More useful articles
Or find out more about our services